The hurdles in designing an architectural project can make you feel lost and helpless. I’m here to hold your hand and guide you through this mess.
A design project can be daunting, especially when you’re the kind of person that over-complicates their world when faced with a lot of stress. This is a dangerous and counterproductive – because really, oftentimes the simplest and most elementary of approaches work best.
In this series of articles, I’m going to help you calmly weed through the clutter of every step of the design journey. Our little goal here is for you to be able to produce the best damn design project you’ve churned out to date – and be damn proud about it.
I’ve collated all posts into sub-groups, for maximum clarity and absorption. Content is continuously being developed, and you can expect to see a whole lot more entries over the next few months (and years).
1. The Fundamentals of Designing
- The Architect, Space, People, and Time
- Architecture and Boxing? The Connection.
- Positive and Negative Space: So Basic, yet so Important.
- The 4 Basic Elements That Designers Use.
- What Can You Expect to Learn in Architecture School?: Architectural Communication, History and Criticism, Architectural Design & Theory
- “What’s the Difference?” Design PHILOSOPHIES, Design CONCEPTS, and Design CONSIDERATIONS (Q&A #6)
2. Developing Your Design Process
- How Do Architects Think? – An Eye Opener
- What Does “Designing” Mean Anyway?
- Why Is It Important For Architects to Sketch?
- 26 Things About Design Process That You Should Know
- The 5 People You Meet in Every Project: Who Are You REALLY Designing For?
- Don’t Be Discouraged: Why Having A Flawed First Design Project is NORMAL. (Q&A #4)
3. Architectural Programming – the Designer’s Best Friend
- 36 Things You MUST Consider When Designing Your Project
- Pointers for Designing an AWESOME Room – Part 1: 20 Tips
4. Design Considerations – Widening your Horizon
5. Architecture and Society – Hidden Magic
- Architecture is like a species – it evolves.
- How do Architects contribute to Nation-building?
- Why Umbrellas Surprisingly Beat Raincoats in the Philippines
6. Technical Considerations – Crunching the Numbers
- What Can You Expect to Learn in Architecture School?: Building Materials and Construction
- What Can You Expect to Learn in Architecture School?: Structural Analysis and Conceptualization
- What Can You Expect to Learn in Architecture School?: Lighting and Acoustics Design
- What Can You Expect to Learn in Architecture School?: Plumbing/Sanitary and Electrical Systems